Wednesday, June 11, 2014

#E3Nintendo 2014


Yesterday marked one of my favorite things about summer: Nintendo's E3 Showcase! Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3 and I've been with Sony since the first generation Playstation, but Nintendo will always have a very special place in my heart. So naturally I spent (quite literally) all day at my kitchen table watching the E3 Nintendo live stream on Youtube. Here are my top 5 highlights from the showcase.

5. POKEMON: OMEGA RUBY AND ALPHA SAPPHIRE



Okay, so we already knew this was happening. But getting to see the trailer was still pretty awesome. I can't wait to get my copy of Alpha Sapphire. I still can't decide which starter I want. Torchic or Treeko? Luckily I've got a few months to decide.

4. YOSHI'S WOOLY WORLD



I have always been a fan of Yoshi. I may or may not have just recently downloaded Yoshi Story to the Wii so I could reminisce a bit. I'm really excited to get to explore a new Yoshi world and I love the handmade yarn theme to the game. This one is definitely on my "must-have" list.

3. SUPER SMASH BROS FOR WiiU



Who doesn't love the Smash Bros series? Last night Nintendo held the first ever Super Smash Bros Invitational and we got an awesome first look at live game play of the upcoming game, which will be available on WiiU and 3DS, and it looks pretty awesome. I am particularly excited to get to try out Zero Suit Samus.

And of course the crowd went wild over the first look at Mega Man's final smash:



2. SPLATOON



I honestly can't explain how excited I am for this game. It looks AMAZING. The basic premise is to cover the battle zone with as much of your team's ink as possible; the team who's color takes up the most of the zone when the clock runs out wins. The characters, Inklings they were called during E3, are a good mix of adorable and badass, and even better the majority of playable characters featured were girls which next to never happens. This game is gonna be a huge seller for Nintendo and I for one cannot wait to get my hands on it.

1. EVERYTHING ZELDA

If you follow me on Twitter you know that a Zelda announcement is all I wanted from E3 this year.



The Legend of Zelda is my all time favorite game series. I grew up playing Ocarina of Time and have played through the game so many times I essentially have everything up to the Spirit Temple memorized. I loved Twilight Princess. I loved Skyward Sword. I'm ready for another adventure with my favorite left handed hero.

It was a good day for Zelda fans, ladies and gentlemen. First, we got a preview of the game that is currently in development and it looks beautiful. Basically and HD mix of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword graphics from the looks of it.



Everyone in the Zelda fandom is currently going crazy over the introduction of what appears to be a feminine Link. Aonuma, the producer of the Zelda series, teased us a bit more yesterday:

"No one explicitly said that was Link." (source)

The fact that this character's bracers bear a striking resemblance to the style worn by the Gerudo people in Ocarina of Time has also stirred up some controversy from the fandom. There are still lots of questions revolving around this game. I'm willing to bet that this game doesn't release until late 2015 and that it gets a much longer feature at next year's E3.

In addition to this teaser, we also got a good look at Hyrule Warriors, which is set to release in September. I will admit I wasn't super excited about this game when they announced it last year, but now having gotten a good look at it, I'm pretty excited. I am particularly excited that Midna, Impa, and Zelda are all featured as playable characters.


I also loved that during the live game play segment the guy showing off the game mentioned needing to get to Zelda and then quickly followed it up with this:

"She is not sitting around getting kidnapped; she is busy!"

This makes me think that Nintendo is probably finally paying attention to the fact that many of us are tired of the damsel in distress stories and are doing something about it. I am hoping that this will be reflected in the newest game; as much as I loved Skyward Sword, I was really upset by the way they completely took away Zelda's agency in the final battle. Hopefully Nintendo is paying attention and will be fixing this.

Unlike Microsoft apparently. *cough cough* thanks for the 4 identical white male assassins in Unity *cough cough*

Meanwhile, Hyrule Warriors is giving us Midna, Zelda, and Impa, the Splatoon showcase featured some adorable squid girls, and the upcoming Super Smash Bros game has 7 announced female characters (one of which is rumored to be the strongest character in the game), plus the Mii option. 

Nintendo E3 2014 did not disappoint. I had not intended to buy a WiiU until the new Zelda game released (although I'll admit that Mario Kart 8 has been catching my attention) but now I'm pretty sure I'll own one by the end of the summer.

What games from this year's E3 (Nintendo or otherwise) are you most looking forward to? Let me know in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

Share It!