Friday, June 13, 2014

Feature Friday: How To Train Your Dragon!


I am super excited today, guys. I have been waiting for this day for four years. Four long, excruciating years. But at last, my waiting has come to an end. And now, as I sit at my desk at work, anxiously counting down the hours to my showtime tonight, I can't help but feel a tiny bit like Sirius Black.


Let me tell you all a story. Four years ago I went to Florida with my cousin Bri to visit our grandparents for Spring Break (wow I was a junior in high school when this happened; that's trippy). While on this trip we went to see a movie. Now I had not been paying much attention to this particular movie, but suddenly my Facebook feed was blowing up over how amazing it was. I didn't get my hopes up too much, but obviously I had to see what the hype was all about. So off we went to see How To Train Your Dragon.

My life would never be the same again. 

Okay perhaps that is a bit dramatic. But only a bit. It was one of the funniest most adorable movies I have ever seen in my entire life. It was with the release of this movie that, in my opinion, Dreamworks started winning the tug-of-war game they'd been having with Disney. (The playing field has leveled out again since then I think with the Frozen explosion, but nonetheless it was a pretty big deal.) After seeing the movie I immediately went out in search of a Toothless t-shirt and thanked the heavens that I was small enough to fit into a large child's shirt.


I'm no longer so lucky as to be able to wear it, but I do still have it.

After I got home from Florida I dragged my boyfriend to the movie theater to see it again. And a few months later when it came out on DVD I played it on repeat in my room for about 72 hours straight. (I'm not exaggerating; I can now quote the entire opening monologue with only the soundtrack.) This movie is special. It has everything you could want.

Dragons


Badass ladies


Dragons


Sass


Did I mention dragons?


(I'm pretty sure Toothless is part cat)

And to top it all off, it has one of the most amazing soundtracks I've ever heard. John Powell created a masterpiece score for this one (and also got totally jipped at the Academy Awards by The Social Network, but we don't need to talk about that).

On the more serious side, How To Train Your Dragon is a great story about unlikely friendships, and it is an excellent reminder that there is nothing wrong with being different; Hiccup's story reminds us of the importance of challenging the status-quo and about the difference you can make if you are willing to stand up for what you believe in. 

In my opinion, what makes it even better is it is the younger generation challenging the older, which is something that is becoming more and more frequent in society today and I think with good reason, but it is not something that is often portrayed in a positive light. Too often younger generations are told they know nothing, that they should sit down shut up and let the "adults" decide what's best. The problem of course being that older does not always mean wiser (see every word Bill O'Reilly has ever uttered). There is currently a huge backlash against the younger generations in our society (run a quick Google search on millennials; I'll wait), an entire movement dedicated to silencing and discrediting up and coming voices. As a millennial myself, I am rather fed up with the entire conversation, so seeing a movie that spotlights a younger generation speaking out against the outdated traditional views and making a difference is honestly really awesome. How To Train Your Dragon teaches kids that their voice matters.

I cannot say this enough: If you have not seen this movie, you need to. Right now. And then you need to go see the second one which promises to be just as fantastic as the first (I cannot wait!!) For now, I leave you with my favorite dragon riders all growed up!


(Seriously I can't believe how good of a job they did aging the characters. Grown up Hiccup is a babe and don't get me started on the crush I have on Astrid right now.)

7 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to see the 2nd movie too! I loved How to Train your Dragons so much! I am trying to convince my mother-in-law to go tomorrow!
    New follower :)
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so great! You can tell her the complete stranger on this blog promises it will not disappoint! :)

      Delete
  2. Cool! I do feature fridays as well, but I feature authors and their novels. I love How to Train Your Dragons though I haven't seen the 2nd movie either yet, but I will! :) Great post and thanks for nominating me for the Liebster award Katie! I'm also a new GFC followed of your blog! :)

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to checking out some of your features as well!

      I just got back from seeing the second one and it is PHENOMENAL! I loved it I absolutely loved it!

      Delete
  3. Yaaay great review! :D I had pretty much the same experience when I saw it for the first time ... a couple of my friends really wanted to see it and I went with them not expecting it to be very good. But then it was amazing of course! And now I've seen it a billion times and it still never gets old. In fact, I feel like every time I watch it, I appreciate it even more. And aggggh the second movie ... THE FEEEEELS. It was so fantastic and I can't stop thinking about it. I need to see it again. There are so many great things about both movies but I think what's really awesome is that they are very cute and funny, but there's also a more serious edge to them; they don't feel as condescending as a lot of kids'/animated movies do. They're still kid-friendly but also don't shy away from showing the consequences of violence and it's just ... al;djfsljdfj I don't have the words to express my feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE SECOND ONE THOUGH AS;LKDJGA

      I neeeed to see it again as well. Badly. Right now. It was perfect. And Astrid and Hiccup are adorable and I so badly need a dragon why does the world insist on being so boring. I definitely agree about them not being as condescending as a lot of "kids" movies. They are made to be kid friendly but they aren't "made FOR kids" if that makes sense?

      Delete
    2. I just remembered that there was a guy in our theater who dragged his kid - who had not seen the first one- to see it because he (the dad) wanted to see it so badly. I guess they couldn't find a copy of the first one fast enough but he was determined to see it so off they went lol.

      Delete

Join the conversation!

Share It!