Monday, June 16, 2014

Spoil Me Rotten: Game of Thrones Season 4 Finale


Spoil Me Rotten is a regular feature on The Pop Cultist where I write about something that requires the inclusion of major spoilers. I will always make it clear how far you should have read, watched, or played in order to avoid being spoiled by the post.

Alright everyone I am about to freak out over last night's Game of Thrones Season Finale. Those of you who have not read through to the end of Book 3 or who are not caught up on the show should avoid this post. Additionally, those of you who have read the books, please refrain from posting comments with information the show has either not included or has not yet gotten to; don't ruin it for the rest of us.



Are they gone? 

Okay there is something I need to say before we go any further...

TYRION LIVES!!!


For those of you who don't know, I have very special feelings about Tyrion Lannister. I love him more than I love most real people. So as you can imagine, this season was a bit terrifying for me. I knew, I knew that he must survive, but I was still freaking out going into last night's episode. But my baby is safe and all is right with the world.

Actually all is more than right with the world, because Tywin Lannister finally got what was coming to him. And on Father's Day nonetheless. And am I the only one who loved that he died on the toilet? How appropriate was that? Tywin Lannister's great legacy is being shot by his son while sitting on his chamber-pot. 

And Tyrion. Tyrion



It was a great time for fans of Tyrion Lannister. I am so proud.

I think one of my favorite parts of the episode was when Varys starts to head back to the city, hears the bells ringing, and the promptly turns around and gets on the ship. I almost died laughing. And he just plops himself down next the box Tyrion's in. Oh Varys. How done you are with King's Landing and all it's crap.


I will say the whole thing with Brienne and The Hound caught me off guard, and I've been told that didn't happen in the book, though I'm not sure if that means it doesn't happen at all or if it just didn't happen in book 3. And I didn't expect Arya to just leave him there like that. Especially considering the reason he fought Brienne was because he didn't think Arya would be safe with her. That was pretty damn cold and I felt really bad for him. I liked him a lot. RIP Sandor Clegane. 

I do want to know what the hell is up with Braavos. Why does Arya's coin and her knowing the words get her such immediate respect? Like does Jaqen H'Ghar belong to an organization or something that is highly respected or is really important in Braavos and that is how they are recognized? I want answers. I am super excited to see where her storyline goes next.

I am actually kind of happy that the season is over, because now I can power through all the books without worrying about what is happening on the show. I know Tyrion is okay, so now I can read through the books without constantly being worried about him. I'm looking forward to finally catching up and reading past the show and finding out what happens next, and also what I've missed by only having seen the show. Hopefully I'll have all of the released books read by the end of the summer, but I will definitely have them read by the time the next season airs, considering I'm planning on writing my English Thesis on Sansa.

What were your favorite parts of last night's season finale? And please remember not to post comments about anything the show has left out or has not yet gotten to. There is nothing I hate more than having a story that is important to me spoiled.


2 comments:

  1. Should I be watching this series? Basically everyone at school talks about it! My teacher and some students spent a whole ModernEuro class talking about an episode of GoT XD I feel like I'm missing out! I left off somewhere in season 2. Should I continue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh yes you should. It is probably my favorite thing on television right now. Plus the season finale just aired so you have plenty of time to catch up before season 5! The would building and character development are amazing (I'm particularly in love with the wide array of female characters because that never happens). Just don't get overly attached to anyone if you can help it....I spent this entire season in panic mode over my favorite character.

      Delete

Join the conversation!

Share It!