Monday, September 8, 2014

Back to School Breakfast of Champions


By now I'm pretty sure that classes have started back up just about everywhere. And that means everywhere students (or parents of students) have returned to the universal school time question: what can I make for breakfast that fills me up, gets me to class on time, AND is super healthy? Well friends, I have your long awaited answer.

Poached eggs on avocado spread toast. Healthy. Delicious. Quick.

"Wow, that looks delicious!" you say. "How do I make that?" I know some people fear poached eggs, but this is stupidly simple, I promise.

You will need:

  • 1 large piece of bread; preferably something delicious and fancy from the bakery section.
  • 1/2 an avocado (more or less depending on the size of your avocado. Mine are pretty tiny.)
  • 2 fresh cold eggs (1 if you're not super hungry)
  • Balsamic vinegar (optional)

Fill a pot with about an inch of water and let boil. You don't want it to be a roaring boil, just a light bubbling, so don't set your stove super high. 

While waiting for your water to boil, toast your bread. A toaster oven is ideal, but, if like me, you do not own one, just cut your big fancy piece of bread in half and toast it in a regular toaster. I won't tell anyone.

Next cut up your avocado into little chunks and then smush them across your toast with the side of your knife. I like to leave little lumps on mine, but that's up to you.

By now your water should be ready. Remember light boil, not roaring. If your water is bubbling too much you run the risk of it breaking your yolk. 

Crack your first egg into a 1/3 or 1/4 cup measuring spoon. Then take a spoon and create a whirlpool in your water; this will help to keep your egg together. Lightly drop your egg into the center of the whirlpool, holding the measuring spoon as close to the water as you can when you do it. Let the egg boil for 3 minutes and then remove with a slotted spoon and plop it down on your avocado toast. If you're making two eggs, simply repeat

You'll probably lose some of the egg whites. I always do. It will still be delicious.

Salt and pepper to taste, splash a little balsamic vinegar on top, and enjoy your super fast and fancy breakfast!

*Fun Fact: Since you won't be using a whole avocado, be sure to cut up the half that does NOT keep the pit when you cut it in half. Avocado's stay ripe longer when you leave the pit intact.* 

I hope you enjoy this breakfast as much as I do! What are some of your other favorite before-school breakfast recipes? Let me know! 


3 comments:

  1. This looks so so yummy! I've never actually had poached eggs and not sure I'd have the skill to make them but they look delish! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it! They really are a lot easier than they sound. I mean don't get me wrong I always lose a bit of my whites haha but it still tastes great (:

      Delete
  2. Yummy! My breakfast is usually the "Grab a bagel on the way out the door" variety, but I might try this.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation!

Share It!