Sunday, September 28, 2014

Photo Diary: A Day at Art Prize 2014

Fall is finally here, which of course means apple cider, cinnamon donuts, and plenty pumpkin spice lattes (yeah I'm a walking stereotype; it's fine). However, for me the start of Fall also means the opening of one of the coolest traditions and events in Grand Rapids. ART PRIZE!

Every year around the beginning of October the entire city of Grand Rapids is turned into a giant art museum. Artists from all over the world submit their work, ranging from paintings to sculptures to just about any type of art-form you could possibly think of and more. The exhibits cover the city for a couple of weeks, during which visitors get to vote for their favorites to determine the winners.

I la-la-la-love Art Prize. It is something I look forward to every year. You never know what you'll find and I'm always blown away by the variety. The writer in me is always inspired by walking around and seeing all the different perspectives and ideas the different artists offer. Plus it's kind of like a giant scavenger hunt; you never know where you might find a sculpture or an installation, or what stores might have opened their doors as venues this year. I mean I suppose you could just Google it, but where's the fun in that?

This was the opening weekend for Art Prize 2014, so I've only managed to go down for one day so far and there are plenty of venues that I didn't make it to, but I hope you enjoy the pictures I've taken so far!

We've dubbed this one Battle Pug.


The colors for this installation are so vibrant I had a hard time getting a picture that didn't look fake!


Dragon! This beautiful thing is rather appropriately stationed in Vault of Midnight, a comic book store in Grand Rapids.



This instrument is called a Hand Pan. They sound sorta like steel drums. They're super awesome.


I love me some turtles! 

Seriously. I love the turtles.


This is one of my favorites. It is a series of photographs of American soldiers and people living in the Middle Eastern countries that have been/are war zones. The photographer is hoping to draw attention to the way the majority of Americans experience war- at a safe distance through photographs- hence the title of his piece.



I believe this piece was entitled "Wind." We found it because I saw something shiny and obviously had to see what it was.

That's all I have for you right now! I'm hoping to go back to art prize at least one more time before it ends. If you want to see any new pictures I take in the future you can follow me on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

Share It!