Wednesday, September 3, 2014

SAIL's First Campus Life Night


Last night was Campus Life Night at GVSU, which means thousands of students squeeze into one parking lot to learn about the over 350 student organizations that run on campus. Life Night showcases everything from swing dance club to the GVSU Amnesty International chapter, and new tables show up every year.

This year, we were one of them.

Near the end of the last school year I started playing with the idea of starting a literacy advocacy group on campus. A few months of brainstorming and talking all my roommates into being officers later and SAIL was born.

The group will officially be known as Student Advocates of International Literacy, or SAIL, and I am so excited to get to start working with this group! None of us had particularly ambitious expectations for last night; we were hoping to get maybe 10 people signed up. Instead we had over 30 people sign up and even more who just took fliers for the Facebook group. Even if only half of the people who signed up actually turn up for meetings, we are off to a pretty great start. It was really exciting getting to meet people who were just as interested and passionate about this idea as I am; I can't wait to get to know them all and to start making a difference with them.

There was one part of Life Night that was a bit of a failure: I didn't take any pictures. I got so caught up talking to people and passing out fliers that I completely forgot, so unfortunately I don't have any of our table to share with you. But I will definitely take lots of pictures at our future events and projects so you have that to look forward to!

If you're interested in seeing how SAIL progresses and keeping updated with upcoming projects you can follow our Facebook page here! Some of the ideas we have people will be able to participate in online, so you can get involved even from the other side of the world.

Do your schools have any traditions like Campus Life Night? And are you a part of any of the organizations at your school? Or maybe your a parent who is extra relieved that the kids are back in school and out of the house; are your kids involved in anything cool? I'd love to know!

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea for a student group! As a bookworm, writer, and aspiring author, OBVIOUSLY I'm a huge supporter of literacy, and a group dedicated to promoting it sounds absolutely marvelous. Best of luck to you with it, and I can't wait to hear more about it as time goes on!

    (PS Hi, yes, I'm back to blogging!! You can check out my new blog (self-hosted on Wordpress) here, if you like. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEEEE! I'm so happy that you're back!

      Things have gotten a little rocky in the start up process but I still think it is going to be a great year. I'll definitely be posting updates as things progress! (:

      So happy to have you back in the blogging world!

      Delete

Join the conversation!

Share It!