Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Fun Facts From Your Local Future Historian

Every week I learn all sorts of fun facts in my history classes and I thought I would share some of my favorites with you! So, in no particular order, here are some fun facts from you local future historian!



(Me...its me)

Fun Fact: Sappho was a prominent Ancient Greek poet. Most of her work was romantic poetry written to and about her female lovers; because of this the word lesbian is derived from Lesbos, the name of the island she was born on.


Fun Fact: That image of a disembodied Indian head that the Redskins have plastered all over their merchandise/helmets/everything else has a pretty disturbing history. Shop owners used to put it in their storefront it as a sign that they would pay people who brought them Indian scalps. 

I am not be including a picture of this one because I am heavily opposed to the continued use of the image and the team name as a whole.


Fun Fact: Despite common belief to the contrary, most scholars agree that it was most likely women who developed the technology that led to the Agricultural Revolution, and thus to the development of civilization as a whole. You're welcome. 


Fun Fact: (This one is a long and fascinating story that I highly suggest you Google because it is just awesome, I think. But here's the short version.) A man by the name of Toussaint Breda (later Toussaint Louverture) was born a slave in the French Caribbean colony of San Domingue. He went on to become a general in the French military and, eventually, governor of San Domingue (dictator is probably more accurate, but he preferred governor). Granted he was eventually arrested by the French because Napoleon believed him to be, shall we say, a bit overambitious, and sent to France where he died in prison, but still. Amazing story for a man born a slave.




Fun Fact: Martin Luther King Jr and Anne Frank were born just under 6 months apart from each other; MLK Jr was born January 15, 1929 and Anne Frank was born June 12, 1929.


That's all I've got for you today. If you enjoyed these fun facts and want me to write more posts like this one leave a comment to let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, please do more, and maybe make it longer :P xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha can do! I have a ton more stored up I just didn't want to make it too long until I knew if there was interest or not (: Thanks!

      Delete

Join the conversation!

Share It!