Friday, November 14, 2014

Lois Lowry Can See the Future

Sit down everybody because it is story time. You see this book?


I just started reading it last night. *Pauses for wild exclamations of "YOU HAVEN'T READ IT YET?"* Nope I have not. I am often a late comer to the books that take off. It is a pattern in my life, but that is another story.




So last night I open up to the first page and just dive in. I'll be honest that I didn't really have any idea what the book was about, just that I was apparently missing out big time for having not read it. But a paragraph on the first page really caught my attention. 

"Twenty years ago I didn't own a cell phone. I didn't know what quinoa was and I doubt I had ever tasted kale. There had recently been a war. Now we refer to that one as the First Gulf War, but back then, mercifully, we didn't know there would be another."

I stopped after that and flipped to the front of the book to see when it had been published. 1993. How in gods name could Lowry have predicted our present so precisely? I mean if she was well versed in American foreign policy history than it is possible she could have predicted the second war in the Middle East, but KALE? HOW DID SHE PREDICT KALE?

See like I said I didn't know what the book was about so I assumed it was a book supposed to be set in the future, like Star Trek and stuff, and these were just predictions she had made about the point in our future that she was setting her book in. And it really freaked me out because it was so freaking accurate like wow.

Then I started paying attention to what I was reading and discovered my copy of the book had an introduction written by the author and what I thought was the first chapter was actually her reflecting on what had happened since she'd published the book.

Long story short for about 2 minutes I was convinced Lois Lowry was psychic because how else could she have possible have predicted the kale fad. Thankfully I have since figured out where chapter one actually starts and was able to start reading the actual book, and I think I am going to enjoy it very much.

Hopefully this story about me being an idiot makes you smile and brightens your day a little bit. And hey if you want to make me feel a little better you can share your own less than brilliant moments in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh I honestly thought someone had predicted the future!! Disappointed now ;)
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sorry to disappoint you! I was a little disappointed too. Although once I figured it out it made much more sense because while I didn't know much about the book I was pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be that directly connected to the "real" world lol.

      Delete

Join the conversation!

Share It!