Monday, December 15, 2014

Barnes and Noble Book Haul && My Winter Reading List


Went Christmas shopping last night. Came home with a present for my Dad and three new books for myself. #SorryNotSorry

I've been basically crying over not being able to read these books for months, so when I walked into Barnes and Noble armed with my membership card and a 20% off coupon I just could not help myself.

Plus today is pay day, she whispered to herself reassuringly...


Anyway as you all no from my post earlier this week, I am officially on winter break! No classes for me until January! While that doesn't mean I'm completely free, I definitely have more free time than I did a week ago, and my favorite way to spend large chunks of free time is checking books off my reading list. I hope to have read all of the following by the end of my break:

The Giver by Lois Lowry

I already owned this book and I'm about half way through it, but I still have to finish it so it makes the list. If you want a funny story about me and this book you can check out this post from when I first started it. I am really enjoying it so far and I look forward to seeing where it takes me!

In the world of The Giver every aspect of a person's life is predetermined and controlled. Spouses are assigned, women designated as Birthmothers give birth to all the children, children are assigned to family units when they are a year old, and careers are assigned at year 12. There is no conflict. There is no injustice. There is only Sameness. Except for Jonas who is given a very special, very different life assignment. 

There is a very real chance I will have already finished this book by time you're reading this. We shall see.

A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray 

I recently did a giveaway of this book for my 6 month blogiversay and I am so, so excited to finally have a copy for myself. I've been waiting for this book to release as long as I've been on Paperback Planes, so this is a very special moment for me. No pressure, but this book better be as amazing as I think it will be. And lets be real, with a cover that beautiful how could it not be?

Seriously can we all just take 30 seconds to appreciate this gorgeous cover? Go on; I'll wait....

Anyway, from what I can tell this book is about a girl jumping from dimension to dimension, chasing the man she believes murdered her father, and meeting parallel versions of herself and others along the way. Of course things are never that simple, and she gradually discovers that her father's murder is part of something much bigger.

Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld

 I had no idea this book was so huge until I picked it up. The Uglies books were all like 300 pages a piece and then he shows up with this.

I haven't read any of The Uglies. Sorry Scott.

This book I think is going to be super interesting because its format is really unusual. The book is about a teenage girl who has gotten a publishing deal for her book. She has moved to New York to join the publishing scene and is working on the revisions of her manuscript. Except the book is also about the story she has written. From what I've gathered it switches back and forth between the real world and the world of her novel every other chapter. Which intrigues and worries me all at the same time. I think it has the potential to be really awesome and I hope I like it as much as everyone else seems to!

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

 I could have read this book awhile ago except some terrible book blogger included spoilers in her review without a warning, so I had to wait until I'd forgotten as much as I could about the book. I still know something pretty big and I'm still really pissed off to be honest, but I have a feeling I would have figured it out pretty quickly anyway. I don't know, we'll see.

Unprofessional bloggers aside, this book sounds really awesome. I feel like we are desperately lacking in really quality YA fantasy lately, so I'm ecstatic that this book has been getting such great reviews. It follows Meira, a girl who was orphaned with the Kingdom of Winter was conquered. She is one of the very few who escaped enslavement and she grew up as a refugee. The people of Winter lost their magic when the kingdom fell, but the refugees believe they can restore it with an ancient locket, which of course our heroine will try to retrieve herself. And things will go terribly, terribly wrong.

Are any of these books on your winter reading list? If not, what are you hoping to read? I was considering doing a recommendations list before I decided to write this one, so if that's something you'd be interested in let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

Share It!