Thursday, December 11, 2014

Movie Review: Mockingjay


Are you, are you, coming to the tree? Where I told you to run, so we'd both be free. Strange things did happen here; no stranger would it be, if we met at midnight in the hanging tree.
Ever since they announced the Hunger Games movie series I've been saying that I think Mockingjay would make a better movie than it did a book.

I had no idea just how right I would be.


Mockingjay picks up with Katniss recovering in District 13. District 12 is gone, revolts against the Capital are springing up across Panem, and Katniss finds herself at the very center of a revolution she never intended to start.

I have a huge soft spot for stories about people coming together to fight against injustice. Seriously I cry every time. Needless to say Mockingjay was an emotional experience for me. My chest was tight and I was on the brink of tears about 80% of the movie and I love every freaking second of it.

The biggest reason Mockingjay works so much better as a film, I think, is because it is not restricted to Katniss' first person perspective. This means we can actually see the revolts happening, which is a thousand times more powerful than just seeing Katniss find out about them. One of the revolt scenes shown in the movie is honestly one of the most powerful scenes I have ever seen. I may or may not have forgotten to breathe. See, normally movies like this follow the stereotypical heroes, strong, powerful, well trained, sometimes even with superpowers; people who are prepared and equipped to deal with dangerous situations and powerful enemies. Mockingjay shows people, real actual normal people, rising up and in some cases dying to fight injustice and that is what makes these movies so real, so powerful, and so important.

I know some people had their reservations about this movie, but it was honestly one of the best movies I have ever seen. Mockingjay was my least favorite of the books, but it made for a really, really fantastic film.

I also had this song stuck in my head for at least a week after I saw it. I love when the make books into movies because then I get to find out how the songs in the book are supposed to go, and this one certainly did not disappoint!


If you've seen Mockingjay, did you love it as much as I did? If you haven't seen it, are you planning to? Let me know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

Share It!