Monday, January 12, 2015

Veggie Packed Shrimp Stir Fry!


If you'll remember, one of my New Year's resolutions was to work towards a generally healthier lifestyle, and that means actually taking the time to cook real healthy food instead of living off macaroni and cheese. So I've been experimenting with different recipes the past week or so and today I have a super easy, super delicious, super healthy dinner recipe to share with you guys!


I am particularly proud of this recipe because even my darling boyfriend who refuses to eat basically everything in this dish under any other circumstances, loves it. He actually requested it last night. I don't think you understand how crazy this is; I need no further proof that I am indeed a witch. Getting Joe to eat peppers and mushrooms willingly and happily is basically the same as getting a Hogwarts letter.


Stir fry is great because as long as you have noodles and a little bit of soy sauce you can make it with just about anything you have laying around your kitchen. This is just the recipe I've put together, but obviously feel free to add or subtract whatever you want!

For my stir fry I used:
  • Brown Rice Udon Noodles
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 4 Tbsp Soy Sauce
  • 1 Red Pepper Sliced
  • 1 Orange Pepper Sliced
  • Handful of Sunburst Tomatoes Cut in Half
  • 1 8oz Can Water Chestnuts Drained
  • 1 7oz Can Bamboo Shoots Drained
  • Handful of Snow Peas
  • 4-5 Mini Portabella (portobello?) Mushrooms Chopped

Cutting up the veggies is really the most time consuming part of this meal, though even that doesn't take too long. If you want to save time you can always cut the veggies up ahead of time and toss them all in Ziploc bags until you're ready to use them.

Step One

Get your frozen shrimp out of the freezer and start them soaking in some cold water to thaw them out. I always forget the step and then end up scrambling to get my shrimp into the pot after everything else is basically finished. How much shrimp you use is really up to you, but keep in mind they'll shrink up a bit when you cook them.

While your shrimp is defrosting, cut up your veggies. You can also put your olive oil in your pan and get it started heating up. I like to set mind to a good medium-high heat. 

Step Two

Dump all your veggies into the pan. Pause to enjoy the satisfying sizzle, but be sure to pause at a safe distance to avoid getting splattered. (File under: things Katie learned the hard way.) Stir your veggies from time to time to make sure they are getting cooked evenly, especially if, like me, you're using a pan that is probably not really intended to be cooking this much food all at once. Add 2 Tbsp of soy sauce and stir.

At this point I like to start boiling my water for the noodles.

Step Three

While your veggies are busy sauteing, return your attention to your shrimp. It should be ready to peel now. Peel and remove the tails off your shrimp and then add them to the pan. I like to add my shrimp in a little after the veggies just because they do not take very long to cook; just long enough for them to turn pink!

Step Four

Once you've added your shrimp you can go ahead and start your noodles. Udon does not take very long to cook at all, which is why I wait until everything else is just about done before I start it. Follow the instructions on the back of the package. I personally boil them for about 6 minutes and then shock them with cold water after straining.

Step Five

Add your perfectly cooked noodles along with the other 2 Tbsp of soy sauce to the pan and mix them in with the veggies. I usually use tongs at this point because it makes separating the noodles easier.

And viola! You have a delicious shrimp stir-fry that will be the envy of all your Facebook friends and Instagram followers.



Stay tuned for future healthy and easy recipes as I continue my endeavor to live a healthier lifestyle. In the mean time, is there anything you would add to this recipe? I'd love to hear your ideas for variations on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

Share It!