Monday, July 27, 2015

Currently Reading: All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr



I borrowed this book from the Barnes and Noble I work at, because saving money and all that, and then half way through the book I decided just to buy it because I could just tell this one is going to give me feelings and I'm just going to want to be able to take it off my shelf and hold it sometimes. You know?

All The Light We Cannot See tells the story of  Marie-Laure, a blind French girl living in Paris, and Werner Pfennig, an orphaned German boy with a curious mind and a knack for fixing radios, whose lives were swept up in the chaos of World War II. The book tells their stories in alternating chapters, following Marie-Laure as she and her father are forced to flee Paris for Saint-Malo during the German invasion, and Werner as he escapes his fate working in the mines only to find himself forced into a much more unnerving world at one of the country's top military schools.

I'm currently about half way through the book and so far I absolutely adore it. I just want to wrap up Marie-Laure and Werner and hide them away in a safe place where none of the terror or grief of the war can ever find them.


So far I personally am more interested in Werner's story. Marie-Laure is a beautiful character and I am very emotionally invested in her well being, but at the same time I feel like the most interesting aspects of the narrative are in Werner's chapters. He is a young boy who initially understood very little about the war or the school he was being sent to; he was just happy to have escaped his father's fate working, and likely dying, in the mines. But the longer he is at the school the more uncomfortable he becomes and he really begins to question the nature and morals of the system he has become a part of. I feel like I'm getting close to a turning point in his narrative, but I'm not sure what exactly that turning point will be or what it will mean for him.

I am really looking forward to finishing this book and finding out where they both end up at the end of the war, but at the same time I don't want it to end because then I will inevitably have to move on from it. I think that, like The Book Thief, this book is going to be difficult to follow, because I'm not going to want to let go of this story in order to enter another.

If you've read or are reading All The Light We Cannot See tell me what you think of it. If not, I highly recommend looking into it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

Share It!