Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Musical Confessions: Come to the Dark Side; We Have Fiddles

Do any of you have a musical genre that you love that simply does not exist on the radio? A genre that requires you look up songs on Youtube or put together your own Pandora playlist in order to listen to them or find new music, because lord knows WCSX or whatever is never going to play it on your morning commute.



Here's the thing: I love folk music. Mainly Celtic, but folk music in general really. I just absolutely freaking love it. And let me tell you, that is not a discovery you make without some effort. I honestly don't even remember how exactly I stumbled upon it. I believe it entered my life via a movie soundtrack playlist I had put together on Pandora for when I was writing or doing homework. You know how Pandora is; no matter what you intend a station to be it always throws in something unexpected from time to time. And for me that something was Siuil a Run by Celtic Woman.

It was just down the rabbit hole after that.

And now I just sit at my computer listening to Pandora wondering how on earth anyone is not obsessed with this music. Songs range from hauntingly beautiful to the type of bubbly upbeat music that you simply can't not dance to. And there are fiddles. Like, the fiddles alone are reason enough to lock yourself in a room with a pair of headphones and a Celtic Woman cd, let's be real. The music is just so pretty and so much fun. I cannot think of a single reason not to love it. Plus when you sing along you get to pretend you can speak Gaelic for the bits not in English. I can't be the only one who loves to sing along to songs in other languages. As long as it sounds similar it's all good, right?

Basically, what I'm trying to say is if you love yourself you will head straight over to Pandora and create a folk music playlist for yourself. On top of being amazing and beautiful and everything else, it is also, I think, really great productivity music. My Blackmore's Night playlist is my writing music and it has seen me through many a college essay.

Here are some of my absolute favorites to help start you off on your new musical journey.

Teir Abhaile Riu by Celtic Woman
Ready for the Storm by Deanta
A Spaceman Came Traveling by Celtic Woman
John Riley by Grada
The Voice by Celtic Woman
A Mhuirnin O by Clannad
Nil Se'n La by Celtic Woman
Fires at Midnight by Blackmore's Night
At The Ceili by Celtic Woman

Do you have a favorite music genre people might not expect? Or any musical loves you simply will not find on the radio?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!

Share It!